Saturday, September 13, 2008

Here's One for Collective Soul fans...


SeeqPod - Playable Search
(Paul says:)
Last Saturday, I got to go to Wendover and see Collective Soul at the Peppermill. (By the way, that's a great venue, if you haven't been there. We were impressed that it's an intimate setting with great acoustics.) The show was actually rescheduled from about 3 months ago when they had to postpone for health issues, so it was the last night of their tour, and they were pretty loose and feeling good. (My experience from VH's OU812 tour in 1988 is that it is a great time to see a band.)

The only issue we had with the performance was that they were only on stage for about 90 minutes! That includes two encores, and "Run" was played for a long time. There were also a couple of other tunes that had "extended versions" while they worked out some difficulties with the drum kit. (You'll have to ask a drummer what was going on - it sounded good to me, but I could see them working on it while Ed vamped with the crowd, playing AC/DC riffs and breaking into "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" during "Listen". Otherwise, it was great.

One song that isn't on this list that was played is "I Don't Need Anymore Friends" from the 2007 release, "Afterwords." That was probably the only down point of the evening, as Joel Kosche, the "new" lead guitar player, sang. (I thought he did fine, but the energy level was lower without the enigmatic Ed Rollins singing, for whatever reason.)

So, here's the setlist they played, plus I've added a couple of songs that I have a fondness for that I wish they had played. This mini-list includes "Under Heaven's Skies," "She Said," "Energy," "Needs," and "Counting the Days" (which is the song I couldn't think of on the drive home when I was discussing this and which is probably my favorite CS song). You can also go here for Collective Soul radio, or go to Collective Soul's official website to link to it.

P

0 comments:

Post a Comment