Monday, April 14, 2008
Great Keyboard Solos
SeeqPod - Playable Search
This is certainly not a comprehensive list, but the songs included here are things that sprang to my mind when I thought of the topic.
Track 1 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - I Know a Little
I've always liked this tune for its guitar solos, but listen to Billy Powell's piano solo and hear how he holds his own among some great guitarists.
Track 2 - The Young Rascals - Good Lovin'
A classic keyboard solo that I began to appreciate when I played with Rich Baron, an excellent keyboard player who played and sang this song as well - or better - than The Young Rascals. The inclusion of this cool solo is as much a tribute to him as to them.
Track 3 - REO Speedwagon - Roll With the Changes
Another solo that Rich used to play, and another case of a keyboardist holding his own in the presence of an accomplished guitarist.
Track 4 - The Beatles - In My Life
I already included this song in the tribute section, but I just love the piano solo (which was played by George Martin, the "5th Beatle").
Track 5 - Van Halen - Jump
Yet another example of a keyboard solo that holds its own next to a great guitar solo, but this time they are both played by the same person - the legendary Edward Van Halen, virtuoso extraordinaire.
Track 6 - Boston - Smokin'
Tom Scholz shows that EVH is not the only accomplished multi-instrumentalist in rock, and while he's not in Ed's league as a guitarist, he plays an awesome and memorable solo on the Hammond B-3 in this tune.
Track 7 - Led Zeppelin - All of My Love
Often overlooked and overshadowed, I think John Paul Jones is as underrated for his legendary contributions as was George Harrison. This keyboard solo is one that is easy to whistle or sing along with, too!
P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment